lynx-dev

Re: Lynx alters downloaded HTML LYNX-DEV

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: Re: Lynx alters downloaded HTML LYNX-DEV
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 10:37:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, H E Nelson wrote:

:It's _not_ not processed, and it's _not_ the actual source.  The lines
:beginning "<!-- X-URL: h" and "<BASE HREF="h" are being added by Lynx.
:At least I thought so; is the server doing that?

I remember Fote had voiced these very concerns when this "feature" was
added (It is Lynx that's adding the X-URL comment and the BASE tag).
However, this feature is useful on occassion.  I believe the request was
that a BASE tag be added so the source could be easily mailed to someone
else who would then be able to view it without the links breaking.  It
also makes it easier to use the file later.

The two extra tags were placed at the top:

+ it was easier that way
+ the tags were then easier to delete ( if required)
+ Netscape did it that way ;~)

One can still get the unadulterated source using the command line -source
switch, but that can be a pain.  An option would be for the View-Source &
Print & Save-to-file combintion to add the BASE tag, but for downloadd to
do what it generally does, provide the actual document as is.  But that
means you have to contend with the various mods in view-source (whitespace
removed/added, etc.)

I think it's easier to just delete the two tags with an editor if
you want to, and use the -source switch if you don't want to do that.

address@hidden + Lynx 2.7.1 + NeXT/PGP mail + www.crl.com/~subir/
Lysistrata had a good idea.

;
;