lynx-dev

Re: Lynx alters downloaded HTML LYNX-DEV

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: Lynx alters downloaded HTML LYNX-DEV
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 12:08:30 -0400 (EDT)

[What is this, Henry Nelson masquerading as a pupil?]

I think that a slightly wider review of the pros and cons may help.

Automatically prepending a BASE, [even in the "wrong" place] does
help naive users who want to save a copy of a page containing
relative links.

Lynx is not intended for wholesale vacuuming up of others' Web Work.
If you are only copying a few pages, it's not that much of a grind
to hack off what Lynx added.

On the other hand, at least two of the Heroes of the Revolution
have spoken up in favor of having some way to get a verbatim file
copy by Lynx.

Two possible avenues of relief:

1. Workaround: install as a downloader a script that strips the
additions.

2. Modification: while pages interactively saved via p)rint menu
(mail and save to file options) would get these additions, files
migrated to local storage by d)ownload wouldn't.

There are pros and cons of each of these, but I'll get off the
mike and let others comment.

--
Al Gilman
;