lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Character set support 5

From: Hynek Med
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Character set support 5
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 14:09:20 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Michael Sokolov wrote:

>    BTW, speaking of servers returning wrong character set names, is there
> any way to tell Lynx that a certain unknown charset name is an alias for a
> known one?

As far as I know, not yet. Though I would welcome (perhaps even
hard-coded) aliasing (e.g. cp1250 = Windows-1250, since some
misconfigured servers send this..).. Also, I have heard that Microsoft has
registered various charsets under many names..

Anyway, there's the -assume_unrec_charset command line option and the
ASSUME_UNREC_CHARSET setting in lynx.cfg. To quote:

# If Lynx encounters a charset parameter it doesn't recognize, it will
# replace the value given by ASSUME_UNREC_CHARSET (or a corresponding
# -assume_unrec_charset command line option) for it.  This can be
# used to deal with charsets unknown to Lynx, if they are "sufficiently
# similar" to one that Lynx does know about, by forcing the same
# treatment.  There is no default, and you probably should leave this
# undefined unless necessary.

Hynek

PS Michael, I have trouble sending mail to lynx-dev - I'm subscribed from
a different address.. If this doesn't appear in lynx-dev, would you please
forward it there? Thanks.

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden

;