lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Porting Lynx to USR Robotics's PalmPilot

From: tzeruch
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Porting Lynx to USR Robotics's PalmPilot
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 10:47:10 -0400

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Tony Leung wrote:

> address@hidden wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 22 May 1997, Tony Leung wrote:
> >
> > > I am thinking of porting Lynx to USR Robotics's PalmPilot. Is someone
> > > working on such a project?
> > >
> > > What are the procedures to follow before starting on a port?
> >
> > Briefly,
> >
> > Generally you will need a UNIX or POSIX lookalike library of functions
> > including network functions, i.e. the pilot will need things like socket()
> > calls.  You will also need a way to move about the screen - there is a
> > vt100 emulator for the pilot, and the code may be integrated, or you will
> > have to implement your own set.
> >

> I am new to user-community software development. Who controls the
> versions of Lynx?
> The latest version of Lynx is 2.7.1. If i go off a do a port to XYZ
> platform, do i have to re-port if 2.8, let's say, comes out? Are there
> administrative procedures to follow for rolling ports back to the main
> line, if deemed worthy?

Make any changes specific to the pilot in the form of

#ifdef USR_PILOT
#endif

and if it is a large specialized driver, try to keep it in a separate
file.

and add an entry to the master makefile so you would do "make usr-pilot"
much as I do "make linux-ncurses"

Then do a diff and submit the patches to one of the Lynx development
coordinators.  Your patches will be merged, so that 2.8 (or whatever)
should work - note that something minor may break so you should keep up
with the development and see if you can recompile every so often.

;
;