lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Hex escaping & and company

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Hex escaping & and company
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:26:23 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Duncan Hill wrote:

> After scrabbling around, I finally found how to turn & into %26 :)
> Interestingly enough, none of the search engines found any references to
> that in the archives.  Anyway, is there any reason for a server not to
> accept %26 in place of an &?  I can't type the & at the prompt, because
> that'll background the process, without finishing the search URL.
>
> The URL in question is:
> http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/sat-bin/display?phot=yes&dir=meteosat/tropics_vapor
>
> I can escape the /, and the ='s, but not the &.  Any clues?

Put the whole URL inside double quotes, like this:

lynx
"http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/sat-bin/display?phot=yes&dir=meteosat/tropics_vapor";

That should prevent your process from being backgrounded. The reason you
can't escape the &'s is that unescaped &'s are field separators, and
escaped &'s are literal &'s in the field values.

HTH,
Ben. (A happy user of Screen)

;
;