lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: "Why Lynx?" Blurb

From: Dan Strychalski
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: "Why Lynx?" Blurb
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 13:00:15 +0800

Al Gilman (address@hidden) posted --

> 2. Each paragraph should contain a link to a more extensive development
> of the idea.  I think you can find lynx-dev posts to back up the above
> points, at the minimum.
>
>        There should be one of these links to Subir's "public Lynx" page
>        One should be to Lloyd's most recent summary of "Lynx use by blind."

A while back, William Safire wrote an article on the origin of the
phrase "A picture is worth a thousand words." It was on the Web briefly,
and if memory serves me right, Mr. Safire made some good points in favor
of text-based communication and came down hard on graphical gimmickry.

His main point, however, was that the phrase is not the Oriental adage
it is usually trumped up to be, but was coined by a U.S. advertiser in
the thirties or forties. (I certainly haven't heard any such saying in
18-1/2 years in Taiwan. The closest thing in Chinese means literally
"Hearing about something a hundred times is not as good as seeing it
once for yourself," and is glossed in a Chinese-Chinese dictionary as,
basically, "Seeing is believing.")

If anyone is registered with the New York Times site, maybe they could
find that article and ask about permission to add it to our arsenal.
Registration with that site is free for U.S. residents only.

Dan Strychalski
address@hidden
;
;