lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV more bad html

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more bad html
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 10:33:51 -0500 (EST)

Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote:
>Well, there are infinite ways to write bad html, but here's one you
>may or maynot want to handle.
>http://www.crl.com/crldialups.html
>contains an <h3> embedded in a list item.
>Try it.  Behavior varies between fotemods and ac-0.23.

        There *is* a need for headers in lists, and that's why LH
was adopted in HTML 3.0.  It's implemented in Lynx and a number of
of "fringe browsers", but was dropped from the W3C's so-called
HTML 3.2 because it was "not implemented" by the doublespeak
definition of May, 1996, and is not in Cougar, because it's still
"not implemented".

        However, in that crl case, it's not being used as a header.
It's being used as FONT, to invoke the font which that document's
"author" has configured for H3 headers.

        Lynx2-7-1 (in response to the May, 1996 doublespeak) does treat
H# elements as if they were valid substitutes for LH in list blocks, and
uses the indentation of H# instead of that for LH, but assumes there
will be a </H#> to end the header before the next <LI>.

        However, since in that case <H3> is being used as a FONT, the
</H3> doesn't occur until the bottom of the overall list (where a </FONT>
would have been placed).  Lynx2-7-1 (and still in fotemods) uses the
"error recovery" when LIs occur in non-list blocks of treating them as
if they were in a <UL PLAIN> (don't know whether a bullet, Arabic number,
Roman numeral, or upper- or lowercase number is wanted, so don't put
up any of them :).  The devel code's kinda-SGML parser is recovering
after the second LI within the <H3>.  I'm not sure why there, but the
consequence is that bullets do get used thereafter.

        I'm not sure what error recovery would do the job without
breaking valid markup when H# is used as FONT (a common occurrence)
and you have Lynx's one-pass API so you can't "look ahead" to figure
out what the "author" *probably* intended.

        I'll play with it in fotemods to see if I can come up with
something, but it's bound to be too far from a "Biblical scholar's
orthodox piety toward What is Written" for Klaus to include it in the
devel code.

                                Fote