lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Getting proxies to work

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Getting proxies to work
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 12:26:33 -0400

> I agree, but it appears to be the only way at present to use lynx to access
> protected documents non-interactively.  A more elegant solution would be to

That means that for a secure environment, one won't be able to access
protected documents non-interactively.  That puts lynx on a par with IE and
Netscape ...

>provide an option to dump/load the authorisation data structures (hostname,
>realm, uid, password, URL-mask), effectively allowing lynx to "remember" this
>information between sessions.  This would, of course, require a file with
>suitable permissions (ie none, except to the owner), probably in the user's
>home directory (did anyone say ".lynxrc"?).  A stop-gap solution would be to

This would be at least on a par with netscape cookie jars.  lynxrc should
be 700 and owned by the user and in a directory where only the user
or a trusted account can write before writing sensitive info out.

>get lynx to modify its arglist to hide the sensitive argument(s), but maybe
>this can't be done on all platforms?

I believe earlier discussions on this list led to the conclusion that few
of the main players allowed sensitive arguments to be hidden this way these
days.
;