lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV BSD makefile support

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV BSD makefile support
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 13:19:12 -0700

Michael Sokolov wrote:

>    That's not all. For some reason beyond me, the BSDI target compiles Lynx
> sources with -DSVR4. This can be attributed only to plain sloppiness in
> copying and modifying another target, since SVR4 and BSD are as opposite as
> black and white.

If you look through the Lynx sources, you will see that -DSVR4 doesn't
do very much, and a lot of what it does do is to turn on include files
and behaviors which have nothing to do with SVR4.  It basically turns on
a lot of _POSIX_ or _XPG4_ or _Spec1170_ behaviors, most of which *ARE*
supported on current BSD releases.  There are a few exceptions in the
code dealing with connect() errno return values and stuff like that.

What you are attributing to sloppiness was, as far as I can tell from
looking at the code, entirely deliberate.

So.  What actual *problems* were you having, besides the makefile
include incompatibility?  Bear in mind that the include incompatibility
does not apply to every BSD system.  GNU make, which is used on some BSD
systems, is perfectly happy with Lynx's include statements.  In fact, I
think only BSDI currently ships with a make that doesn't like them --
which explains why only the "BSDI" makefile had that special goofiness.

>Bela<
;
;