lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV problem with restrictions

From: ALEX
Subject: LYNX-DEV problem with restrictions
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 18:04:56 -0400

Hi,

We're running Lynx2-4 on a VMS system (VMS for alpha 6.2) and someone is
using our lynx server to go surfing and is causing problems for others.
We've attmpted to shut down telnet usage via the restrictions command
but that does not appear to be working.

The command file we're using to launch lynx is:
$ @HOTDISK1:[ALEX]USERLOG
$ BELL[0,4]     =       %X07
$ ESC[0,8]      =       %X1B
$ CLS    :=     "''ESC'[2J"
$ BOLD   :=     "''ESC'[1m"
$ NORM   :=     "''ESC'[0m"
$!Defines SHIFT F20 as tilde for LYNX
$ clearkey :== P0;1|\
$ tildekey :== P1;1;0|34/7E\
$ write sys$output clearkey
$ write sys$output tildekey
$ write sys$output "''CLS'"
$ write sys$output "PC users please ignore this message.
$ write sys$output ""
$ write sys$output "''BELL'''BOLD'F20 SENDS A TILDE ~ ON A TERMINAL''NORM'"
$ write sys$output ""
$ wait 00:00:02
$ p1 = "-show_cursor"
$ DOIT = "$ disk1:[library.lynx_2_4.lynx2-4]lynx.exe"
$ DOIT 'p1' 'p2' 'p3' 'p4' 'p5' 'p6' 'p7' 'p8' 'p9'

and the file that defines the restrictions is:
$! EXAMS_INFO.COM
$!
$!      M Clinton - 11SEP94
$!
$!      Launches user into exams section of gopher using lynx
$!
$set terminal/page=24/wid=80
$ @library:do_lynx
-restrictions=goto,inside_telnet,outside_telnet,editor,bookmark,options_save,file_url,download,exec
 -index=http://library.utoronto.ca/www/limited_index.html
gopher://library.utoronto.ca.:70/11gopher_root70:[_student._exams]

Can you give me some advice as to why this is not shutting down the
telnet capability?

Thanks very much,

alex

Alexander Eykelhof                   | 369 Huron St. Toronto, ON Canada
University of Toronto Library        |            M5S 1A5
Information Technology Services      | voice: (416) 978-7635
email: address@hidden      | fax:   (416) 978-1668
       address@hidden       |

What am I, a doctor or a moon shuttle conductor?
                                        Dr. Leonard McCoy