lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV SHOW_CURSOR

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SHOW_CURSOR
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 00:18:15 -0700

Ismael Cordeiro wrote:

> In what are you based for saying that "they're in the minority"? I see no
> reason, except for people who use text-to-speech translators, for having the
> cursor displayed.

I think it's impossible to guess what "the majority" want.

I am fully sighted.  I prefer the "show_cursor" behavior.  Why?  Several
reasons: one is that I often use "weak" terminals or terminal emulations
which do not have enough display attributes to allow useful "fancy
curses".  But even on a nice color display with all the attributes you
could possibly desire, I prefer to have the cursor track the active
link.  The alternative, of having the cursor blink mutely in the lower
right corner, is quite distracting to me.  On some terminals the cursor
disappears completely, which is a little better, but I still prefer the
"show_cursor" behavior.

All this guessing is fruitless.  At least one person has stated a
preference for each half of the toggle: therefore the continued need for
the toggle is established.

>Bela<
;
;