lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV problem page

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problem page
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 19:51:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
> Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
> >[Laura:]
> >> Finally, this page, and other pages at this site, are sprinkled with
> >> &#145; and &#146; strings.  Shouldn't these be translated into something
> >> else?
> >
> >Yes, of course.  By the authors or authoring tools.
> >[...]
>
>       Why not mention to Laura and others who got involved in that
> (in conjunction with a discussion about whether an investment of $24
> at Walden Books would be worthwhile), that just a few days ago, you
> posted (free of charge) a lengthy, scholarly discussion of 8-bit control
> character (as far as the "document character set" for an "HTML
> document" is concerned) handling, and the workarounds used in Lynx
> due to its not first converting the input stream to an "HTML document",
> but instead doing that and everything else in one, byte-by-byte pass
> through it?  Note, though, that "document" is not an everyday, "you
> know what I mean" word in this context.  You don't have an "HTML
> document" until the input stream has been converted to the "document
> character set", which means, with the current Lynx API, that Lynx
> doesn't ever parse an "HTML document", even when the input stream is
> text/html[;charset="MicroSoft keeps this a secret"].

You probably mean
 <URL:http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0597/msg00115.html>
(But come on, it was not THAT long or scholarly, and not worth $24...)

Also those interested should follow the link named cryptically "i18n"
from the Lynx help menu, or look at the file test/iso8859-1.html
that comes with Lynx and follow the links there (which I prefer; first
follow the top one to go to a more recent copy of the file).  There is a
lot of information on character sets as they apply to the Web, and there
are lots of reasons in various of those pages why those invalid Numeric
Character References (&#127; - &#159;) are A Bad Thing.  There isn't
anything I found which says they are A Good Thing - not even from
Microsoft.

And all the documents available (free of charge) with Lynx, starting with
its help menu, certainly ARE worth a lot.

  Klaus

;
;