lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV 4DOS

From: ELCHONON EDELSON
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 4DOS
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 23:41:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> ELCHONON EDELSON <address@hidden> wrote:
> >how hard would it be to allow a command-line option to
> >freopen() stderr onto a specified output file? After
> >appropriate access checks, of course.
>
>       Duhhh, of course!!!!  I just tried it, and it works fine.
> What do you have in mind for access checks?
>
>                               Fote

You would probably want to check for permission to write to the
specified file, so you don't lose your stderr if the open fails.
I I recall correctly, freopen will close the given descriptor
before attempting the open, so if the open fails you've lost
your stderr and any code that writes to it (such as all the debugging
you have scattered through the whole source base) will cause
a possibly fatal error.

--Elchonon

Elchonon Edelson
address@hidden