lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx and tables

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx and tables
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 15:58:16 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden wrote to me instead of address@hidden:
>Hello.
>I was searching for something on Lynx and tables, and I came across a
>Usenet posting of yours, and I thought I'd ask you a question about it.
>I am designing a web site and want to make it accessible to Lynx users.
>I also want to make it visually neat and attractive, and at the moment
>I'm using tables for formatting. I know about using ALT tags for all
>graphics (I hope I don't miss any), and I was just wondering what in
>particular needs to be done so that the tables won't get in the way of
>information accessibility. I'm also going to give a presentation very
>soon on web page design for usability, and accessibility is an area I'd
>like to cover in more depth.
>I'd appreciate a quick summary of how I should approach this. Thanks
>in advance.
>
>Elizabeth Buie

        I CCing this to the address@hidden list, because I never
reply to email about Lynx addressed directly to me rather than via
the list, but even more importantly in this particular case, because
the list has a group of people who routinely answer this question,
and can give you URLs for examples of how to use TAB (validly, and
ignored by all browsers except Lynx, so it works out well) within
TABLEs, or PRE (invalidly, but it works out for all broswers) around
TABLEs to achieve results you desire, if the TABLE markup is not too
complicated (e.g., multiply nested).

        You need not be subscribed to lynx-dev to post messages there,
and can read the replies via:  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/

                                Fote