lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx2.7.1ac-0.20 available

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx2.7.1ac-0.20 available
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 00:44:48 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 09:13:00 +0900 (JST)
> From: Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden>
> Would it be significant for those with screen magnifiers or other
> specialized circumstances if the first hit of the searched-for word
> were displayed on a specific line, say line four?  Klaus indicated
> that it would not be difficult to set a specific line.

Actually, I think putting it on line 3 or 4 would be perffectly fine.
(I use screen mag.  And having used speech software before, I know it
lets you read a specified line.  I don't know about braille display
software, but I'm sure it'd be as functional as speech software.)

The only thing I complained about was positioning it 1/3 or 1/2 the
way down the page, which made it harder to find.
If it is within a small, known number of lines from the top, that would
actually be better than putting it right at the top, as it would provide
the contecxt info.

> So this is what I'm asking and hope you'll all respond to, if you
> know exactly what line it is going to be displayed on, e.g. line 4,
> is that enough, or does it have to be the top line?  If it has to
> be the top line, then, yes, it would probably be best to set up
> a configurable scheme.

I think there should be no need for yet another configuration flag
in lynx.cfg.  For one thing, the only people that would be interested
in this flag would be visually impaired users.  Most ISPs wouldn't bother
to set an option just for use by visually impaired customers.
And if the user isn't a tech-nerd, he/she probably wouldn't know about lynx.cfg,
more less want to touch it.
The other alternative is adding another option to the options menu, which
is already too crowded.

Anyway, in this case, I think the best thing is to choose something that
everyone can live with and hard code it.
--le

PS: If more options are added to the options menu, perhaps it will need to
    be split into multiple menus for different categories.

;
;