lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV looking for "Files" ???

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV looking for "Files" ???
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 18:36:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Jonathan Sergent wrote:

>  ] the browser used to work, now it simply says looking for "files"..
>  ] www.files.com
>  ] www.files.edu
>  ] www.files.net
>  ] www.files.org
>  ] (not necessarily in that order)
>  ] what can I do to correct this???
>  ] I read the enclosed files but did not find anything that addresses this.
>
> I ran into the same problem while trying to install Lynx on a friend's
> Win95 machine.  Based on what I deduced then, I bet the directory it's
> being run from has a space in it; if you have installed lynx as
>
> "C:\Program Files\lynx\lynx.exe"
>
> then Windows understands the space, but lynx thinks it's called
> c:\Program and you want to look at "Files/lynx/lynx.exe" which it
> tries to expand to http://www.files.[foo]/lynx/lynx.exe (where you
> specify possible values for foo in lynx.cfg or at compile-time).
>
> The quick fix:
>     Put it in a directory without a space in the name and this ought
>     go away.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong. . .

I am not using Lynx on Windows, so I am just guessing.
It seems that that could be the problem, maybe not for the path
of the Lynx binary itself (it doesn't need to know that), but for
a startfile which Lynx sees on the command line and whose path
contains spaces.

The changes I made for 2.7.1ac-0.17 -> 2.7.1ac-0.18 could be
relevant here.  Files given on the command line now are URL-escaped
(by a call to HTEscape) before further processing by lynx, this should
turn a space into %20.

But the misunderstanding seems to occur already earlier in processing,
possibly in parsing the args from the command line. So maybe my change is
not so relevant after all.  Somebody having this kind of problem should
run Lynx with `-trace' and report what the lines beginning with
"STARTFILE " and "Converted " say.

   Klaus

;
;