lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV https failure?

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV https failure?
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 15:37:14 -0400 (EDT)

  From: Jim Kirkpatrick <address@hidden>
  Subject: LYNX-DEV https failure?
  To: address@hidden
  Sender: address@hidden

  I just got Lynx 2-7-1 for VMS, compiled it (after commenting out
  the definitions of htons and ntohs; will this be fixed in 2-7-2?),
  but it fails as follows:

    Alert!  This client does not contain support for https URLs.

Lynx out of the box does not support https.

From the online Help:

                                       URL Schemes Supported in Lynx (p3 of 21
The http and https URLs:

[...]
   The https URL has the same format, but the default port is :443.
   Patches for support of https URLs and the CONNECT procedure are
   available for qualified recipients via links in the [18]Lynx links
   pages. US Export laws and associated red tape pose severe impediments
   to inclusion of this support in the general distributions of freeware
   WWW clients such as Lynx. Sorry.

  (I did try looking in the archives, but they only go through the end
  of 1996; this appears to be similar to issues in the "Lynxisms explored"
  document, but not exactly).

Start at http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/ and you will find more recent
archives.

Start at http://lynx.browser.org/ to find Lynx links and other marvels.

I have added "HTTPS" to the SSL entry where this is explained in

http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/lynx/FAQ/

PS: please use address@hidden and not @austin.sig.net; the latter
is going away eventually.
--