lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV new command: 123 g

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV new command: 123 g
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:19:26 -0400 (EDT)

Well, since you're all asking for comments...

I believe i was one of the users that asked for this feature a few
months ago when I started using lynx...  At the time I got
some mild flames from the developers that be saying it would change the API
and wasn't a good idea.... Glad it's now being considered...:)

A lot has been said about the extra <CR> to follow a link.
In my mind, this isn't the only issue.  For navigation,
lynx now provides ^A (HOME), ^E (END), <space>, -, various scrolling commands,
and the WHEREIS command.
If you're looking at a large doc, there is no other way (besides searching
or scrolling) to gump to specific pages in the middle of the doc.

(Actually, the '123g' solution wouldn't let you jump to a screen with no links
on it, but it at least would let you look at the link you've selected before
entering it.)

Also, I don't use speech, but do have low vision...
Being able to move the current link -- even on the current screen --
by typing the number I'm looking at, would save some unnecessary screen
navigation (moving my magnification window around the virtual screen to
find where I am)...

Also, an unrelated point: In the same mail I sent requesting this feature
I believe I also suggested possibly numbering form input fields and buttons
as well as links.
With the "goto link" feature, a user could then type a number to get to
input fields and buttons as well.

Having since looked at the source code in GridText.c
(although not trying to implement it), I wonder if this wouldn't
be a relatively simple thing to do -- since input fields
are allocated as TextAnchors just like links.  (The "number" field is only
set in beginAnchor(), not beginInput(), but it is there for the using...)

Anyway, you asked for comments...:)
--le
;
;