lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV New code for testing

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV New code for testing
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 05:39:33 -0400 (EDT)

> > It configured and built fine, but when I ran it it looked for lynx.cfg
> > in /usr/local/lib instead of $HOME/lib.  I think if configure is going
> > to intall things in $prefix/{bin,lib,man} then it should also configure
> > the software to build that way so you don't have to edit userdefs.h.
>
> Seems reasonable that the location should be set consistently
> *as a default*, but it could not replace the requirement
> that the installer have a look at the configuration files and edit
> them if appropriate.  There are just to many things that can be
> set differently, and moving them all from the files to the ./configure
> command line (which then would manipulate the files) somehow doesn't
> seem to make sense.
the only thing that I'm noting here is that the userdefs.h codes the location
as /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg (so that's on my list - it doesn't inherit from
the configure script's sense of --prefix).

(but I agree - it doesn't make sense to make everything an option in the
configure script: the important things are those that make it simpler to
build)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden