lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Patch-o-matic!

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Patch-o-matic!
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 08:15:07 -0500

Alas, I still have been unable to build a working version of this
version of lynx, at least with the configure scripts.

Unfortunately, for some reason, I'm having all sorts of problems.
For instance, this morning I fetched version 0.37.  Here's what I have
had happen to date.

First, I build a shell command which establishes the environment for
the build.  It looks like this:

$ gtar xfz lynx2.7ac-0.37.tar.gz
$ cd lynx2-7
$ cat ../ly.sh
export PATH=/vol/SUNWspro5.1/bin:$PATH
export LIBS="-L/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/lib
-R/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/lib"
export CPPFLAGS="-I/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/include
-I/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/include/ncurses"
export CFLAGS="-fast -xO5 -xdepend -v"
export CC=cc

./configure  --prefix=/projects/sprs_lwv/sol2 --with-screen=ncurses
$ sh ../ly.sh
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc -fast -xO5 -xdepend -v ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (cc -fast -xO5 -xdepend -v ) is a
cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for ranlib... :
checking for a BSD compatible install...
/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/bin/ginstall -c
checking for system mailer... /usr/lib/sendmail
checking for chmod... /bin/chmod
checking for compress... /bin/compress
checking for cp... /bin/cp
checking for gzip... /cas/bin/sun4/gzip
checking for install... /projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/bin/ginstall -c
checking for mkdir... /bin/mkdir
checking for mv... /bin/mv
checking for rm... /bin/rm
checking for tar... /bin/tar
checking for touch... /bin/touch
checking for gunzip... /cas/bin/sun4/gunzip
checking for unzip... /projects/sprs_lwv/bin/sol2/unzip
checking for uudecode... /bin/uudecode
checking for zcat... /bin/zcat
checking for zip... /projects/sprs_lwv/bin/sol2/zip
checking for working const... yes
checking for SCO by checking on /usr/bin/scosh
checking for scosh... maybenot
checking for gethostname... no
checking for gethostname in -lnsl... yes
checking for socket... no
checking for socket in -lsocket... yes
checking for gethostbyname... no
checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for screen type... ncurses
checking for ncurses header file... predefined
checking for Gpm_Open in -lgpm... no
checking for initscr in -lncurses... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
checking for opendir in -ldir... no
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for sys/fcntl.h... yes
checking for sys/filio.h... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking for termio.h... yes
checking for termios.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking termio.h and termios.h... yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for vfork.h... no
checking for working vfork... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for cuserid... yes
checking for getcwd... yes
checking for putenv... yes
checking for errno external decl... yes
checking declaration of sys_errlist... no
checking for setlocale()... yes
checking if struct utmp is declared... utmpx
checking if curses supports alternate-character set... yes
checking if curses supports fancy attributes... no
checking if curses supports color attributes... no
checking declaration of size-change... yes
checking if ttytype is declared in curses library... yes
checking for cbreak... no
checking for keypad... no
checking if parent-directory references are permitted... yes
checking if you want to see long compiling messages... yes
checking if you want to check memory-leaks... no
checking if you want to enable debug-code... no
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating makefile
creating WWW/Library/unix/makefile
creating src/makefile
creating src/chrtrans/makefile
creating config.h

$ make
make: Warning: Both `makefile' and `Makefile' exist

Please run make with one of the following arguments
(followed by a long series of options)

$ ls -l ?akefile
-rw-r--r--   1 lwv26    npdweb     42936 Mar 27 20:01 Makefile
-rw-r--r--   1 lwv26    npdweb     26703 Apr  2 05:51 makefile
$ make solaris -f makefile

cd WWW/Library/unix; make CC="cc" \
        LYFLAGS="-DDIRED_SUPPORT -DLONG_LIST  -DEXP_CHARTRANS -I../../..
-DNGROUPS=16 -Dd_namlen=d_reclen -DSOLARIS2 -DSVR4"
make: Warning: Both `makefile' and `Makefile' exist
Current working directory
/projects/npd/npdweb/src/Unix/lynx/test/lynx2-7/WWW/Library/unix

followed by a long series of compiles, with various warnings, and then:
Linking and creating Lynx executable
cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/include
-I/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/include/ncurses -I..
-I../WWW/Library/Implementation  -DDIRED_SUPPORT  -DOK_TAR -DOK_ZIP -DOK_GZIP
-DOK_UUDECODE -DOK_OVERRIDE -DOK_PERMIT  -DEXP_CHARTRANS -fast -xO5 -xdepend -v
-o lynx  LYClean.o LYShowInfo.o LYEdit.o LYStrings.o  LYMail.o HTAlert.o
GridText.o LYGetFile.o  LYMain.o LYMainLoop.o LYCurses.o LYBookmark.o LYUtils.o
 LYOptions.o LYReadCFG.o LYSearch.o LYHistory.o  LYForms.o LYPrint.o LYrcFile.o
LYDownload.o LYNews.o LYKeymap.o  HTML.o HTFWriter.o HTInit.o DefaultStyle.o
LYLocal.o LYUpload.o  LYLeaks.o LYexit.o LYJump.o LYList.o LYCgi.o
LYTraversal.o  LYEditmap.o LYCharSets.o LYCharUtils.o LYMap.o LYCookie.o
UCdomap.o UCAux.o UCAuto.o ../WWW/Library/unix/libwww.a
-L/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/lib
-R/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/lib -lnsl -lsocket -lnsl
noecho                              LYCurses.o
curscr                              GridText.o
endwin                              LYCurses.o
initscr                             LYCurses.o
wborder                             LYForms.o
scrollok                            LYMail.o
COLS                                LYCurses.o
wclrtoeol                           LYClean.o
waddnstr                            LYStrings.o
cbreak                              LYCurses.o
clearok                             GridText.o
wclear                              LYMail.o
LINES                               LYCurses.o
wgetch                              LYStrings.o
ttytype                             LYCurses.o
newwin                              LYForms.o
setupterm                           LYCurses.o
wrefresh                            LYClean.o
delwin                              LYForms.o
waddch                              LYStrings.o
stdscr                              LYClean.o
wmove                               LYClean.o
echo                                LYCurses.o
wbkgd                               LYForms.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to lynx
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `lynx'
Current working directory /projects/npd/npdweb/src/Unix/lynx/test/lynx2-7/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `solaris'

Notice that even though I tried to tell configure I wanted ncurses, it didn't
add the library to the makefile link step or any compile time flag to indicate
ncurses should be used.

I still have to figure out the changes I need to edit into userdefs.h to
handle my local environment.  Hopefully my regular userdefs.h will be
able to be used pretty much as is.
;