lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Digital Certificates?[D

From: Ian Stirling
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Digital Certificates?[D
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 03:01:26 +0000 (GMT)

> > The big problem with SSL is that US citizens cannot export it to the free
> > world at the moment without getting locked up for being illegal arms
> > smugglers. That as you can imagine severely cramps the ability of US
> > based people to distribute it

True, I, along with several other people, have a shell account in the
states, there is no way, without a notarised form (and then,
it's risky) to istribute such a thing.
The problem is that they haven't really prosecuted anyone yet...

> Well, there should be a way:
>
> make an export version with sufficiently short encryption key. Nicely
> modular,
> so that people from outside the US can easily add something better.

This is illegal, as ITAR stands, it's not legal to export something
which an encryption system can be easily dropped into.
This Makes amongst others, win95, dos, linux, MS word, ......
techically a munition.

;
;