lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx_386 for DOS Bug Report (14 March 1997 version)

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx_386 for DOS Bug Report (14 March 1997 version)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 08:19:56 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:
> Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:
> > Doug Kaufman wrote:
> > > The binary can not write a file when an attempt is made to save the
> > > options, since the file to be written is compiled in as ".lynxrc",
> > > which falls outside the 8+3 DOS rules.  When I changed it to "_lynxrc"
> > > in the binary, options could be saved without difficulty.
> > Wayne, this probably should be "lynx.rc" or "lynxrc." in both the DOS and
> > Win95 versions for safety's sake.
> I have seen more than one other unix port use _something as its rc file.
> Does anyone have an objection to _lynxrc ?

Let's complete the discussion of several weeks ago about the system
runtime configuration file vs. the user runtime settings.  There were
several options, but no resolution.  As I recall (plus a couple extra):

$SYS/lynx.cfg     -- administrator settings
$USER/lynx.cfg    -- user settings
$USER/.lynxrc        "
$USER/.mylynx.cfg    "
$USER/mylynx.cfg     "
$SYS/lynx.cfg.freeze -- unchangeable settings

------
Alright what do you want me to do?  Let's get it over with.

;
;