lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Bug

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Bug
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 10:35:47 -0500 (EST)

To IETOWERS:  Thank you for your dogged pursuit of what you perceived
as your cyberduty.

My personal interpretation of the trouble report you sent is
        - since the program issued a "call Kansas" message as it died
                it is a very old version of Lynx.

My personal interpretation of the sense of the conversation on lynx-dev
is
        - lynx-dev is not really interested in hearing trouble reports
                from sites running versions as old as this.  There is
                a chance that someone will pick up the trouble report
                and try to reproduce it on a current-code installation,
                but even that is less than a 50% chance.  For example,
                there is an ongoing activity fixing bugs in version 2.7.
                There is no visible activity to retrofit these bug
                fixes into 2.6 and earlier, because implementing them
                requires compiling the program and you might as well
                be compiling 2.7.

        - lynx-dev _really wants to hear_ about problems with the current
                code.  There is a fairly steep diminution of interest
                as the originating version progresses through N-1, N-2,
                etc.

So, I suppose that Subir could have done his cyberduty if he simply
told you, "Gee, that sounds like a _really old_ Lynx.  Thank you for
doing what it asked you, but the main thing you need to do is get
your system to upgrade.  Check out my 'Lynx links' page for product
availability."

--
Al Gilman
;