lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Userdefs.h and Lynx.cfg consolidation

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Userdefs.h and Lynx.cfg consolidation
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 01:52:58 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Philip Webb wrote:
> 970305 Roger Hill wrote:
> > One of the projects I have been contemplating is the consolidation of
> > userdefs.h and lynx.cfg.  By this I mean that there are many options in
> > userdefs that "can be overridden in lynx.cfg".  That being so, then to my
> > mind there is no point in setting them in userdefs.
> <snip>
> i know others have replied variously: may i repeat my previous request?
> i'm not a sysadmin & install Lynx for my own use only in my own directory.
> most of the  > 1000  lines in the 2 files are irrelevant to users like me:
> eg security, anonymous users, directory editing.
>
> could userdefs & cfg be arranged to present FIRST those options
> which everyone must decide on -- eg numbered links -- ,
> and THEN go on to those which concern sysadmins installing Lynx
> on a multi-user system?

I think my reply to Roger is still valid for your question; having
a decent autoconfigure for Lynx will streamline choosing major
options.  Hopefully we can set up improvements for the minor
options as well.  We are not at the point in changing Lynx to
support autoconfigure that you could say:

lynxdir$ ./configure --with-numbered-links

But, the sooner some more folks test it, the sooner that can happen.
Users should not need to hand-edit the source files to get the
features that they want.

------
Don't think for a moment that I enjoyed doing that because I didn't.

;
;