lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Chartrans - forms

From: Hynek Med
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Chartrans - forms
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 17:18:45 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> > > I'll add that to my TODO list.  (Yes, I am starting one.)
> > > But it shouldn't be necessary as much with chartrans compiled in
> > > anyway.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Are there still real-life situations where you get this prompt, when you
> think you shouldn't?

Not for me, because there is Windows-1250 now in the chartrans code.. But
there isn't for example turkish windows encoding, so someone may run into
problems I used to have with Windows-1250..

> Also, don't you think this refusal-to-show-but-offerto-download is
> appropriate when the document charset would five something totally
> unreadable for you?  WHich might be the case with some CJK charsets etc.

That's true, but most of the charsets are superset of ascii (the turkish
example above), so it would display at least something.

> Also, I remember now the -assume_unrec_charset option, which I already put
> in as something of a last resort for totally unrecognized "charset="
> values in headers.

When you get the Download/Cancel prompt, it's too late for a command-line
switch. :-)

>  That may be useful if the server uses an unrecognized
> name (like "windows-1252" :)) for a charset that Lynx, after all, *does*
> recognize.  I can't say I have tested whether it works.

I tested that now on www.fee.vutbr.cz, and it looks it works.

Hynek

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden