lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:26:02 -0800

>On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Jason Baker wrote:
>> On Feb 25, Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim) wrote:
>> > On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:
>> > 2.9 = Table viewing.

Hi, I'm new to this list.  It actually looks to be high volume enough that
I may unsubscribe, just because I'm on a couple of other semi-high volume
lists (but they're work-ish related).

What I'm confused about this table issue is -- does Lynx now (2.6, I know
2.7 is out) support tables *at all*?  People seem to talk here like it
*DOES*, but it doesn't do it well.  However, I wanted to use the TV
listings page at sjmercury.com and they wouldn't work because Lynx wasn't
doing tables.  So I'm confused.

Even if things look "ugly" I'd like to at least be able to log onto sites
and use some of these thigns that require tables.

(A different issue -- my limited knowledge of HTML seems to show that it
was fixed in 2.7 -- there are some other sites, I think it was a different
TV search engine actually,  said something like it couldn't submit form
data... though other things like yahoo and the Internet Movie Database work
fine in Lynx..   Am I un-vague enough to determine whether I will actually
be able to use some of these other forms?)

>> > The future (3.0):
>> >
>> > A sideways-scrolling feature like the editor "elvis" has to view
>> > those large tables like a spreadsheet.  You know, like VisiCalc
>> > on the Apple ][ 15 years ago...

Well, I'm using Lynx on a GS (Apple IIGS) and that's the main reason I use
Lynx at all.  I sometimes use it for quick searches under this Mac telnet
program at work.  If there were a Mac-specific version of Lynx [I don't
even want it to support the mouse, except to resize the window] that I
could use instead of Netscape, I'd be overjoyed.

>The two may go together.  Properly rendering wide tables will require
>horizontal scrolling.  PC Quote's marketsmart markets at a glance is
>140-150 characters wide rendered in text.

Argh.  This crap seems to me like people are getting away from the whole
idea of HTML being *display independent*!!!

But having this would be better than nothing.  However, I would prefer if
the left and right scrolling were done by the USER rather than by Lynx, or
at least toggle-able.  That is, even if there were a link on the right side
of the screen I couldn't see, I wouldn't want it to JUMP to the right when
I hit the down arrow to go to next link..   I hate screens jumping all over
"automatically".    (This sideways scrolling is one of the things that
annoys me about either vim or one of the other vi clones I have used on
some systems.. no it wasn't elvis as mentioned above..)

--
address@hidden

;