lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Win32/386 Lynx

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Win32/386 Lynx
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 18:13:12 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:
> >
> > > When I can scrape together the $50 to buy Borland C++ 4.51, I'd like to
> > > see about getting the Win32 version working in some shape or form under
> > > Win 3.1...
> > >

> > I see two problems there...  That is the first platform that is NOT based
> > on a standard text screen.  I don't know how that will effect the project
> > or the result.  Also, aren't 16 bit Windows integers 16 bit and all 32 bit
> > code's integers 32 bit?  That is a bummer.
>
> I'm not sure about sizes and such.  I don't really see why the sizeof(int)
> will affect things.

As an example, look at the news code and then think about how high news
articles go these days.  16 bit int's go up to 65355...
alt.binary.anything is usually >500000.

> The screen thing could be a bigger problem, but Borland does provide a
> means of running programs not written to use the Windows interface in a
> pseudo-console.

There is such a beast, although I don't know much about it.

> My thinking is that with some emulation of the curses calls, some
> emulation of the socket calls to winsock calls...

The code I have for the winsock parts of Win32 Lynx should work fine with
Win3.x.

> and a few menu items to provide for a little customization, and you
> could have something like the Win version of MicroEmacs which works just
> like the unix versions, but allows menus to send key shortcuts to get at
> certain features.

The Windows pico (pine editor) version is like that.  I hate it :-)
I don't think pine or pico is based on curses though.  I looked through
the code once and it was totally foreign to me.

Wayne

;
;