lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV converting Pine addressbook to html - Why not add...

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV converting Pine addressbook to html - Why not add...
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 22:35:46 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim) wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Tom Zerucha wrote:
> > Since we have multiple bookmarks, could there be read-only bookmarks that
> > take the output of a command, e.g.
> > Bookmark P = "#!/bin/sh;cat ~/.addressbook | pineab2html"
> > (less than half baked, but you get the idea).

Apparently not...

> Ahh.  So we need Lynx to be able to read from stdin, or a pipe, to extend
> this to similar features, such as converting an email folder on the fly to
> hypertext format.  Theoretically, this doesn't sound too hard.  How would
> we distinguish this ability from the present use of "-" on the command
> line as indicating arguments are from stdin?  Perhaps "-pipe"?

Different locus of change.  If I already use Pine (since I don't think
Lynx supports pop3: URLs), I might want to maintain my mail reader
separately from Lynx, but be able to mailto: using the file.

I was thinking of adding this TO THE MULTIPLE BOOKMARK SECTION, so that
instead of reading a file, it would run a program and read the output from
that program, much like the "pipe" command in pine, (vi, emacs, ...).

An earlier suggestion would be to define a filter lynx could use between
the HTTP receive and the rendering (so I could put my table renderer or
whatever there).

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;