lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV warning: applets flying about

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV warning: applets flying about
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 21:42:30 -0500

See http://www.microsoft.com/security for the Microsoft response...

Dear Internet Users Everywhere:

You may have heard reports about a malicious
software program created and demonstrated recently
by the Chaos Computer Club (CCC) in Hamburg,
Germany.  I want to personally assure you that
Microsoft(R) Internet Explorer 3.0 has the
appropriate safeguards to protect against this type
of threat.  By using its default security level
(High) that comes pre-set, Internet Explorer 3.0
will not download and run any "unsigned" control
such as the one from the CCC.

and the article goes on to talk about security settings
and the article finishes up by saying....

Microsoft takes the threat of malicious code very
seriously.  It is a problem that affects everyone
in our industry.  This issue is not tied to any
specific vendor or group of people.  All of us that
use computers for work, education, or just plain
fun need to be aware of potential risks and use the
precautions that can insure we all get the most out
of our computers. For this reason, we are committed
to providing great safeguards against these types
of threats in Internet Explorer.  We expect hackers
and virus writers to get increasingly sophisticated
but we pledge we'll continue to keep you and us
one step ahead of them.

Best regards,

Brad Silverberg
;