lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV text/html; q=0.000

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV text/html; q=0.000
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 13:06:26 -0500 (EST)

"Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>> "Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >Did anyone figure out what was the problem with Lynx 2.6 sending a quality
>> >of 0.000 for text/html in the Accept: headers?  At some point recently,
>> >they've installed 2.6 system-wide here, and the same thing is occuring on
>> >our mail server, but not on several other machines.  My copy of 2.7pre
>> >(from last week) doesn't exhibit the problem...
>>
>>      I've forgotten the site with an Apache server where this problem
>> showed up, but it's WebMaster concluded that it reflect an SGI compiler
>> bug, presumeably when compiling src/HTInit.c, though details were not
>> provided.  Is your system that shows it SGI?
>
>Nope, the system exhibiting the problem is HP-UX 10.01.  The HP-UX 9.0x
>systems don't seem to exhibit the problem.  I compile my binaries on the
>9.0x systems because the binaries will work on 9.0x and 10.01.  If I
>compile on 10.01, the binary won't run on the 9.0x systems.  I could try
>compiling on 10.01 and see if the 2.7pre exhibits the same problem
>although I saw a note in the CHANGES file about some possible fixes to
>this problem...

        The change was simply to allow absolute zero, but still force
anything not absolute zero and less than 0.001 to 0.001, because the
specs allow only 3 digits after the decimal point.

        In src/HTinit.c, v2.6 has:

[...]
            } else if (eq && !strcmp(arg, "q")) {
                mc->quality = atof(eq);
                if (mc->quality < 0.001)
                    mc->quality = 0.001;
            } else if (eq && !strcmp(arg, "mxb")) {
[...]

whereas v2.7 has:

[...]
            } else if (eq && !strcmp(arg, "q")) {
                mc->quality = atof(eq);
                if (mc->quality > 0.000 && mc->quality < 0.001)
                    mc->quality = 0.001;
            } else if (eq && !strcmp(arg, "mxb")) {
[...]

        Another difference, though, is that v2.7 is ignoring any
mailcap entries for text/html, so that would make the problem go
away for text/html, but not for other MIME types.

                                Fote