lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV copyright statement in lynx version info

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV copyright statement in lynx version info
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 06:55:47 -0800

> From address@hidden Wed Feb 12 16:37:04 1997
> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:02:58 -0500 (EST)
> From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>

<snip>
> ...  The rest of the code is
> encompassed by the UKans 1995 copyright, under the GNU GPL, with the
> qualifier, stated therein, that contributors (as opposed to "work done
> for hire" by Ukans personnel) retain copyright on their contributions
> (but also place it under the GNU GPL by virtue of inclusion in the
> Lynx distribution).

Somewhat confused, here.  How can someone "retain copyright" on
their contributions, "but also place it under the GNU GPL" (by
virtue of inclusion in the lynx distribution).

Aren't the two things directly contradictory?  Can't be both ways
at the same time.

Leaves "what does it mean" to a judge, instead of to you, the
writer of this (legal) document.

(I looked at http://lynx.browser.org, as you suggested,
but (of course) gnu gpl wasn't right there, probably down
in some .gz-file with the source.)

(I am no lawyere, but I do read law-school law-books for "fun",
and think that you best be EXPLICIT about just what is
retained, what goes under gnu gpl and what doesn't, etc.
YOU decide what you want.  It may be that what you want
contradicts the gnu gpl, which is maybe a problem, maybe
not, but best to deal with it now, rather than later,
letting someone else "interpret" what you "must have meant".)

Suggestion: fire it off to rms (you might not like his response,
though. :-) ).

;
;