lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV 2-7 download problem

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2-7 download problem
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 19:29:36 -0500 (EST)

970208 Jim Spath wrote:
> I built the 2-7pre on IRIX Thursday or Friday and had (0) problems, other
> than the typical "this module not optimized" from the Risc compiler.  Your
> unzip must be bogus.
                ^^^^^
-- that's a strong word (smile): it's the ordinary one available
   on this system: ie, faced with a  .zip  file i enter  unzip foo
   & that's what i get.
> Be sure you're using an unzip binary for your machine,
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
-- are there different  unzip's  for different types of hardware?
   this is an SGI machine.
> not unzipping it under MSDOS, and expecting UNIX LFs where DOS has CRLFs.
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^
-- how could i be doing it under MSDOS (!!)?
   the  .zip  file downloads directly into a UNIX file on the SGI machine,
   where also resides the  unzip  i use.
-- SO: what different flavors of UNIX  unzip  are there?
-- in defense of our remote & overworked sysadmin,
   my very clear impression is that he knows what he's doing
   & wouldn't install an inappropriate version of  unzip  for regular use.
   something doesn't fit somewhere & Lynx distributions should at least
   alert users out there what to do if (ok, i know from last time).

;