lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Genuine internationalisation.

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Genuine internationalisation.
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:50:04 -0800

> From address@hidden Tue Feb  4 21:36:11 1997
> Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 01:07:18 +0400 (GMT-4)
> From: Roger Hill <address@hidden>
>
> On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Jonathan Ridler wrote:
>
> > This may seem a minor nit-pick, but I believe it is worth pursuing.
> > dd-mmm-yyyy format.  What do you say, folks?
> If you really want to nit pick on that (and I agree by the way) I think we
> should use yyyy/mm/dd.

The army uses eg "5feb96" -- I find it helpful that the
month is spelled out as "feb", not "02".

For my lifetime (born in '42) it has always been easy to tell
the day-of-month number from the year-number because, obviously,
the largest day-of-month number possible is 31, which cannot
conflict with any year from 1932 on.

However, the fun begins in 2001.  What date scheme is there
that not just computers but people too can know what
a written date means?

Using four numbers for the year makes it obvious -- and would
be good foresight for avoiding a date-problem up through the
year 9999 :).

I am sure others must have thought about unambiguous date-formats
for post-2000 dates, and that will work internationally too.
Anyone know what these proposals are?  Anything official?
;
;