lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV CONTEXT patches for keystroke help files

From: Hamish MacEwan
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV CONTEXT patches for keystroke help files
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 12:08:55 +1300 (NZDT)

Once, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> If
> you set up Lynx to send:

> you are claiming that the request came from copyrighted software
> (Netscape v3.0), which is untrue,

You are saying, only that your user agent is functionally
indistinguishable from ... etc. etc...

> and whether the "compatible"
> supplementary information absolves you of a copyright infringement
> is an as yet untested legal question.

Precisely, untested, hence:

> The warning that Netscape
> considers it a copyright infringement most certainly should be
> retained by Lynx.

Netscape's  warning (read "opinion") is about as valid it's "claim" to
HTML compliance.

>       I can't imagine (but it's *just* my personal opinion) that
> Netscape would take legal action if Lynx users occassionally did
> that to see if in fact Lynx could handle what a site discriminating
> against Lynx is offering, and then took the initiative to inform
> that WebMaster that it's descrimination is unjustified.  But who
> knows for sure?!?!?

For sure? On this planet? In this reality?  Hmmmm, tough.

>                               Fote

Hamish.

--

    Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Pride, Lust, Wrath, Envy, Netscapisms
;