lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV https protocol? What is it?

From: Duncan Hill
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV https protocol? What is it?
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 07:25:50 +0400 (GMT-4)

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> I ran across a form submit button tonight and I got a warning to the effect
> that this client (Lynx 2.6) had no support for HTTPS html documents.
> First of all, what sort of protocol is https and what is it used for
> Does it offer any real advantages over http? Second of all, having
> known that https is far from universal, why would they insist on it
> use for a particular link? Is there a reason why the web author would
> wish to bar users of a particular browser?

HTTPS is the secure version of HTTP.  Lynx doesn't have it in as a default
due to the ITAR regulations of the United States.  If you look at the main
H)elp page for Lynx, and select Supported URLs, on page 3, it gives some
information.  Also, [1] Lynx Links has some information.

[1] http://www.crl.com/%7Esubir/lynx.html

HTH

Duncan Hill