lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Javascript update

From: Barry Rountree
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Javascript update
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 12:37:30 -0500 (EST)

> >> So, as far as the project goes, I'm now looking at implementing a
> >> Javascript-like language in lynx.  I'll see how far this idea goes....
>
> Why invent yet another language?  If I were going to do this, either building
> in support for JavaScript, or using a current embeddable language such as
> Tcl, Python, Perl, seems like the approach I would use.  Designing a language
> that only can be used by Lynx browsers seems less than optimal.  Lynx
> is unlikely to gain the community that JavaScript has.

A good point and well taken.

Designing a language that can be used only by lynx is indeed less than
optimal -- indeed, it is academic.  Which is most of the problem.  My idea
to implement Javascript as a thesis project was thoroughly stomped on by
my thesis advisor.  The comprimise was to implement some toy language of
my own creation to demonstrate that implementing HTML-based interpreted
languages is doable, and *then* worry about doing something useful.

The next question is:  Why bother?  Aside from getting an MS, the above
would not seem to add much to the functionality  of lynx.  Hopefully, I
can direct this project so that the point becomes the construction of the
mechanisms allowing any yacc-based interpreted language to be "plugged in"
to lynx.  Once the groundwork has been laid with my toy language, anyone
else who had a "real" language compiled in yacc could implement it with
minimal [giggle] effort.

Athough it's probably obvious, let me state for the record that a
"BarryScript" [1] enabled lynx will probably be of interest to five or six
people, tops, and would not be part of the general distribution package.

Thanks for the comments!

> Larry W. Virden                 INET: address@hidden

Barry Rountree
Florida State University

[1]  My advisor's idea, not mine.  Trust me.
;
;