lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Can I Use Lynx On My Computer? -Reply

From: David Godshall
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Can I Use Lynx On My Computer? -Reply
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 08:36:00 -600

 | CAN I USE  *LYNX*  on my computer?
 |
 | I have a 286 CPU with probably 270 to 360 RAM (originally the
 | machine had 640 K RAM) and 30 MB hard drive.  I have DOS 3.2 on it
 | and Windows 2.1 as a backup (if I can get it re-installed).  My
LC>

 | You can't run Lynx on that computer; what you want to look for is
 | a freenet running Lynx that you can reach by an inexpensive phone
 | call.  Run a terminal emulation (alias modem) program such as
 | Kermit on your computer and use the Lynx installed on the
 | freenet.

DOSLYNX would probably work on that computer if you had more memory.
We find 480k available a practical minimum, so if you get your
computer up to 512k, that *might* do it.  In the meantime, or even if
your computer could run DOSLYNX, Al's idea of dialing in to a service
provider with Lynx installed is a good one -- your computer would
have no problem running a simple terminal program (i.e. Procomm) and
letting a more powerful computer run the true Lynx.  While not all
service providers have Lynx installed for text-only use, the "good
ones" (in my opinion) do.  Failing that, you might be able to TELNET
to an open Lynx system if you have telnet capabilities.

If you want more information on DosLynx, you might check out Wayne
Buttles' DosLynx page: http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx or join the
Doslynx-Dev listserv by sending "SUBSCRIBE DOSLYNX-DEV your name" in
the body of a message to address@hidden (subject can be
blank).  DosLynx is not as functional as Lynx, most notably missing
forms capabilities, so there is some work being done to get the real
Lynx ported over to DOS, although currently such is limited to 386
machines.  Even if it does get ported to 286, I'm guessing your
memory is going to continue to be a problem.

David Godshall, DosLynx-Dev Administrator
;
;