lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV bookmark files

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV bookmark files
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:25:48 +0900 (JST)

> >able to place my exiting bookmarks into  designated folders? or will I loose
> >all of the bookmarks that I have already accumulated?  Your information does
> >not tell me how to move exiting bookmarks into folders.  I am a novice so

If you're a real novice, it never hurts to cOpY files to another name until
you've performed all the procedures and are confident that things are working
right.  I still do.

>       Define the set of bookmark files via the 'o'ptions menu, with
> mu(L)ti-bookmarks set to ADVANCED.  Select your default bookmark file
> ('A').  Successively position the cursor on each link you want to move,
> press 'a'dd bookmark link, reply to the prompt with the letter of the
> bookmark file to which you want to move the link, then press 'r'emove
> bookmark link and confirm the removal from your default bookmark file.
> You can thus quickly redistribute your ten pages of bookmarks links
> into an organized set of up to 26 bookmark files (with tokens 'A' to
> 'Z').
>
>                               Fote

I couldn't make much sense of this, and figure He can only byte my head off,
so I'm going to tell you the way I did it.

1) Make a note of the full path to, and the names of the existing 10 bookmark
files you have.

2) From within lynx, hit `O' to bring up the O)ptions Menu.  Then hit `B' to
bring up the B)ookmarks files list.

3) Hit any letter from `B' to `Z' to enter a description (left side) and
filepath (right side).  `A' is reserved for your `main bookmark file', and
it has a different status from the other bookmarks in multi-bookmark handling.
I think the procedure Fote has described for you is to put links to your ten
bookmark files into this default, top-level bookmark file.

Anyway, to continue let me give you an example:
Type `C'.  The cursor will be moved up to the left side of the listing for
the C: bookmark.  Type in the description for that bookmark, say `COMPUTERS',
and hit [ENTER].  The cursor will move to the right side, where you should
enter the path name to the file, say `./Books/com.html'.  The `./'
indicates your home directory.  Notice that you want `.html' or `.htm' as an
extension to all bookmark files you use for lynx.  After you have hit return
on the filepath, the cursor will go to the bottom of the list, and wait for
you to enter a command.

You would then continue to add an entry for your other bookmark files.  After
you have finished entering all the bookmarks, press '>' to save the changes
and take you back to the O)ptions menu.  Hit '>' again to save your new .lynxrc
file and get you back to the Lynx you love.

Now if you hit `v' (NOT `V'), and then `c', you will be taken to the bookmark
file on `computers'.

Hope it works out for you.

__Henry
;