lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV problems in form-based file upload

From: Bae Young Hyun
Subject: LYNX-DEV problems in form-based file upload
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 10:18:43 +0900 (KST)

Hi,

I have been fixing the lynx sources to support the form-based
file upload function which is a new(?) spec. in HTML 3.0.
Fote helped me by telling where I should start and which files
are related to my work.
I followed his advise. So, I fixed some source files of lynx2-6fm.
First, I made it possible to understand "<INPUT TYPE="file" ... >"
and accept a file name that it will be uploaded.
Then, I added some codes into "HText_SubmitForm" procedure in GridText.c
to construct a form data including the contents of a file.

Since the file upload test site, http://thccy14.oz.nthu.edu.tw:6083/wole/UL,
doen't work currently, I cannot test file upload of modified lynx yet.
But, I tested the transmission of the constructed form data using
the same html file without a cgi binary file, which is specified as
the action of the form.

Now, I have two problems.
The codes in HText_SubmitForm procedure for constructing a form data via
a data structure of "query", consist of string processing fucntions
like as strcpy, strcat, or strlen etc. So, when I include a binary file
into a query structure, I must encode that files using mimencode.
Is it impossible to do that without any encoding procedure ?
Can I include bare data of a binary file into a form data whose enctype
is multipart/form-data without any encoding procedure ?

The next problem seems to be related to the size of an upload file.
From the results of simple transmission test, it is successful that
trasmission of a relatively short file. However, I encountered follow
transmission error message for a larger file.

Alert!: Unexpected network write error; connection aborted.
Alert!: Unable to access document.

I checked the exact boundary.
When the total size of "query" structure is larger than 9640 bytes,
the above messages are displayed and the transmission fails.

For now, I have no idea about these problems.
Who has the same problems or some solutions ?
The solution of these problems is very critical to my work.
I'd like to ask all of you, especially Foteos Macrides, good advises.

Thank you.