lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Idea for tracking LYNX usage

From: Jason Baker
Subject: LYNX-DEV Idea for tracking LYNX usage
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 17:17:17 -0800

Can't recall if this was ever brought up before.  I might have brought
it up the last time I compiled TimeTracker. :)

I just built TimeTracker for a new machine here, and it's got what I
think is a neat thing - if you don't tell it not to, it send a single
UDP packet to a given host at startup with the numeric UID, and the
output of "uname -mrs".

Basically, it lets the author get really rudimentary usage stats.  If
we embed a version as well, then we could see (from now on, anyways)
what the distribution of versions is.

Any opinions?  I know some would consider this an invasion of privacy....

Jason

--
 address@hidden                         |   PGP key available
 Systems Administrator, Information Systems         |   from MIT keyserver.

  To err is human; to really bugger things up requires the root password.