lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Java, etc.

From: Joe Kincaid
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Java, etc.
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 00:05:43 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Barry Rountree wrote:

> Back in August (according to a quick search of the archives) there was
> some discussion of porting Java (& Perl & Python, etc.) to lynx, but
> as far as I can tell, nothing ever came of it.  I'd like to do this as
> part of my MS in CS, and would like some input so that I can get a
> proposal together.
>
> 1)  Is there anyone currently working on this?

The OS/2 version of Lynx (Lynx/2) has some java capability built in
according to its docs. Check out http://www.concentric/~Djd/products.html
for more information on Lynx/2.

> 2)  Does anyone have any *specific* examples of Java applets (or Perl...)
> that they find useful and that would be even more useful in lynx?

Sorry. I can't help here.
> 3)  The discussion in August mentioned two approaches:  If the user was
> on an xterm, then a Java (or whatever) viewer could pop up and the applet
> be displayed & interacted with.  Contrariwise, the applet could be reduced
> to what could be represented in  curses/slang and forget about most
> of the graphics.  (Does anyone know of a useful applet that isn't graphic-
> dependent?)

I believe the former is how Lynx/2 does its Java support, though I've
never actually use it. If you suspect a Java applet to be on a page, you
press 'j' and an OS/2 Java executer (is that the right word?) pops up
and runs the applet.

Joe
-----
Joseph Kincaid                 |  Mathematics is the alphabet with which God
address@hidden   |  has written the universe.
address@hidden        |                          -- Galileo
http://www.peru.edu/~kincaid   |   (except he said it in Italian, of course.)

;