lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Can lynx thread usenet posts?

From: updates
Subject: LYNX-DEV Can lynx thread usenet posts?
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 08:41:42 -0500

Hello,

We have been searching for a way to get Lynx to thread usenet messages
(the way tin does) instead of displaying messages in the order they are
received at our site.  We are a Free-Net that provides free access to the
Internet to about 43,000 users in South Florida.  We are about to switch
from a menu based system to a web-based one, and Lynx will be the main
browser used.

We currently have Lynx 4-2-4 running (it is started from our menus when
users choose to go to a web site), but usenet news is being read with
tin.  Due to the way our user accounts work (we have a "visitor" account
that is not secure), it's not possible to use tin from within Lynx.

When we open our new web site (January 6th) all of the usenets that
appear on web pages will be read with Lynx.  Since our people are used to
tin they will be very confused if messages are not threaded.

Last night we FTP'd version 2.6 of Lynx and built it (no errors right out
of the box... thank you!) but we can not find any information about
configuring even this newest version of Lynx to thread usenet messages.

If we have overlooked a source of information, or if anyone reading this
e-mail has a definitive answer to the question, we would be very grateful.

Thank you, and happy holidays!

Adam Glass
SEFLIN Free-Net

;