lynx-dev

Re: going directly to a binary file

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: going directly to a binary file
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 08:43:13 -0500 (EST)

  From: "-=-/\\_vGm_/\\-=-" <address@hidden>

        hrmzzzz.....well is me agian i have tried that approach and when
  i ran by the for example *true expample i have used*
  http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/5852/daysy.jpg all it had done was upload
  da bytes and just run by a blank screen quickly then it had just returned
  to the screen i was on.....( my friend has brung up thing topic since he
  knows wat he was doing...he told me to find the .jpg file name and then
  type the above in and it should bring up a DL option screen..but when i
  had done this it didn't bring up a option screen)....

In all likelihood, the server is not correctly marking the type of the
content in the HTTP header, which Lynx trusts.  Lynx does not look at
the file suffix (.jpg) except for local files.  What you can do in this
case is

        repeat the
        <backspace> to bring up the history page
        d)ownload the .jpg by moving the cursor to the reference to that
                page on the history page and pressing 'd'

If you have an old Lynx and d)ownload doesn't work from the history
page, you can a)dd a bookmark to the current page, v)iew bookmarks
and then d)ownload the bookmarked .jpg file.

Or use the -dump -source flags to get the .jpg into a local file.  Read
in the user's guide about the lynx command line.

Al Gilman