lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV ALIGNment problem

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ALIGNment problem
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 15:57:56 -0500 (EST)

"Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>I know Fote has alrady commented and fixed the glitch, but I wanted to
>pick a small nit here.  The <hr> is actually what ends the <p> as far as
>the DTD is concerned.  This is one major problem I saw in Claris Homepage
>and one other HTML editor (Navigator Gold?) was that they put HR's in as:

        Note that Lynx treats <HR> as an implied </P>, but not as an
implied <P>.  So, for example,

        <P>Line 1.<HR>Line.2.

will yield a blank line between the horizonal rule and Line 2, but not
between Line 1 and the horizonal rule, whereas,

        <P>Line 1.</P><HR>Line 2.
or      <P>Line 1.<P><HR>Line 2.

will be yield a blank line between both, because the </P> or second
<P> indicate that what follows must be be the start of a new paragarph
or other block, and the <HR> indicates that what follows the rule must
be the start of yet another paragraph or other block.

        I like that behavior because it allows you to vary whether the
rule will be flush versus separated from the preceding text (whereas
the text that follows will always be separated from the rule).

                                Fote