lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Encoding: x-gzip

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Encoding: x-gzip
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 09:40:08 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Kapil H. Paranjape wrote:

> I should have been more careful is writing my query.
>
>       Behaviour of Lynx (2.6)         File type
>
>       Displays                        something.html (of course!)
>       Displays                        something.html.gz
>       Spawns external viewer          something.xbm

Is this also via HTTP, have you checked the headers for this case also,
and is the content-type also image/x-xbitmap?

>       Gives option of download        something.xbm.gz
>
> What I would like is that the last *also* Spawn an external viewer. I

Since you are saying "spawn" instead of "fork"... you are ny by any
chance using VMS, are you?  :)
That reminds me that you haven't told us anything about your system,
or even whether you are running Lynx under X.

> could check that the HTTP/1.0 response from the server is

>  From the fact that something.xbm works I assume that the .xbm SUFFIX
> is ok as well as the VIEWER for image/x-xbitmap.

Don't assume too much...

If your third case, which you label something.xbm, refers to a file
retrieved via HTTP, then the fact that "something.xbm works" doesn't
say anything about whether "the .xbm SUFFIX is ok".  That URL could
just as well be called http://host.somewhere/blah/blah/xyz.html
and *still* point to a file of type image/x-xbitmap.  Only the
headers matter.

> So what is wrong?

Henry replied to you:

>> Set SUFFIX and VIEWER in lynx.cfg, or edit .mime.types and .mailcap.

Have you actually tried it?

If you still don't get the expected result, lynx -trace might give
some hints.

  Klaus

;
;