lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV -crawl, etc: need "filename-filter"

From: Joe Kincaid
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV -crawl, etc: need "filename-filter"
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:28:48 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, David Combs wrote:

> Two features would be nice:
>
> 1: to be able to supply a regexp that a name has to "pass"
>    before being accepted for downloading.

Hmmm, for certain types (example .tex vs .ps as you mentioned) couldn't
you set the mime types to reject all but the formats you want? I admit
I have no idea how to actually _do_ that, but it seems possible. :-)

> 2: more flexibly, but far more time-consuming and i/o,
>    would be to do retrieval in two passes: first one
>    simply got a list of downloadable names, and stuck
>    them all into a file.
>
>    Then the user could use his favorite editor or egrep
>    or whatever to get the list of files he DOES want downloaded.
>
>    He then runs (another?) lynx, gives it that file of
>    filenames, no "crawling" this time, and it just
>    downloads the whole bunch.

Once you have the file of URLs to download, you could insert the
lynx -dump command in front of each one and then append a file name
to redirect stdout at the end of the command line. You would want -source
instead of -dump for non-html documents, btw.

>    I believe this feature would be useful also for people
>    who had simply built up a list of things they wanted
>    downloaded, and wanted to "automate" it.

I agree.

>    Note: would need settable option to say "die on error",
>    vs just go get next file in list, if link not there.

If each was its own invocation of lynx, then it would do this. I don't
know if there would be a significant savings in any resource by building
this into lynx as a -multiple_dump feature.

> 3: monkeywrench tossed into machine:
>
>    Suppose there were two "README" files, from different
>    parts of the foreign tree.  What then?

You could deal with this when you edit the script.

>    But no such luck -- so we are FORCED to do these
>    infinite downloads, IF we want to read on paper, sitting
>    in chair, lying in bed, or at desk, marking up with pencil.

I definitely agree that sometimes it is easier to read a hardcopy than an
on-line copy.

Joe
-------
Joseph Kincaid                 |  Mathematics is the alphabet with which God
address@hidden   |  has written the universe. -- Galileo
KSU - Mathematics Department   |   (except he said it in Italian, of course.)

;
;