lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV feature-requests

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV feature-requests
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:22:53 -0700

Fote asked how we could implement a -force_read_docs switch on lynx users.
Not that it's likely, or even necessarily desirable, but if we implemented
a check for a hidden file (or value in some file) and upon failing to find
it, display a "see documentation" link in the status bar. Of course, once
the user sees the documentation, we'd have to set thing being checked. A
user on a captive system wouldn't be able to set the "cookie" but I guess
that wouldn't be so bad.

A couple of other thoughts: Specify version or compile date in the "cookie"
and compare it with the binary, delete the "cookie" if a newer binary is
used. (similarly for lynx.cfg?)

Modify the "crash" output refer the user to a page that contains info on
fixed bugs in prior version, and how to submit a bug report. Maybe even have
an online form for the report. (Note that the "bugs fixed in prior versions"
info could be started with fixes to the first version with the reference to
that file since older versions than that won't refer anyone there anyway.)

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,