lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 01:59:12 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, kwfjndpw wrote:

> However I can't do with Lynx 2.6 what is possible
> to do with release 2.4.  Here are two features in
> Lynx 2.4 that are not upwardly compatible to release
> 2.6.

That's because 2.6 is BETTER than 2.4. :)

> - Linx 2.6 does not remember the last "goto" URL.
>   With release 2.4, the "g" command brings up the
>   last URL accessed with the "g" command.  With
>   release 2.6, the line is always blank after
>   entering the "g" command.

Actually, Lynx 2.4 only remembers the last URL on a 'g'oto but 2.6
remembers the last SEVERAL.  The line comes up blank, but if you use the
up and down arrow keys, it will cycle through previous ones AND allow you
to edit them to correct typos, etc.  That's something you couldn't do with
2.4.

> - With Lynx 2.4, the following URL always works
>   with the "g" command.  It resolves to the current
>   working directory from which Lynx was invoked.
>
>          file:
>
>   With release 2.6, this URL produces an error.

Ok, file: by itself is an invalid URL and Lynx tries to guess on it.  Try
file:// (note the 2 trailing slashes) or just a single period for the
directory that lynx was started in.  I would suggest the file:// method
because it's most likely to work in all cases.  I just tried both with 2.4
and the period one doesn't work, but the file:// does.

> For the above two reasons, I always use release
> 2.4 of Lynx instead of release 2.6.  When these
> two problems are fixed, I'll start to use the new
> release.
>
> I still love the product, however, and am very
> happy with release 2.4.

I think you'll be much happier with 2.6 since it doesn't crash as often as
2.4, has many new features and handles and formats HTML much better than
2.4. :)