lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and MS-DOS terminals

From: Georges KO
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and MS-DOS terminals
Date: 28 Nov 1996 13:22:58 +0800

Mike Brown <address@hidden> writes:

> Could you explain better the advantages of this patch?
>
> The "PC Character Set" option included with Lynx 2.6 is intended to do
> the necessary translation to display as much of the ISO Latin 1 character
> set as possible under the PC codepage 437.  The patch at the URL you gave
> says that it is adding this functionality which already exists.

        Oh, I haven't realized that. I should have look more
closely at LyCharSets.c :) !

> Is the PC Character Set option insufficient for translations on your
> machine?  I notice your domain is .tw -- perhaps your machine has a
> different codepage 437 than North American market PC's?  Codepage 437 does
> not have all of the character bitmaps needed to reproduce the entire ISO
> Latin 1 set; some approximations are required.

        No, it's also codepage 437...

> As for the other part of the patch, I can see how the convenience of using
> control keys to toggle between different character sets is probably more
> fun than going to the options screen, but you're probably using 2 more
> keys than you need to.  1 key could probably be made toggle among the
> whole range of character sets -- such a patch would probably be useful
> enough to the Lynx community that it could be incorporated into the
> official code.

        Switching between whole range ? That would be not fun. The
ideal way would be to be able to configure which sets people use. For
me, it would be ISO Latin-1, IBM PC character set and Big5 for the
display, and ISO Latin-1 and Big5 for the encoding.

        Otherwise, changing the display/encoding according to the
URL...
--
 Georges KO [ address@hidden http://mtc.ntnu.edu.tw:52021/~m52021/ ]
;