lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV FAQ update

From: Joe Kincaid
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV FAQ update
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 22:21:51 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Scott McGee wrote:

> I have been working a bit on the FAQ (http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/lynxfaq.html)
> today, and would like some feedback. I have added a new file for keyboard
> related questions and answers. I then went on to add some information about
> navigating within the current document. Open the FAQ, select "How do I use
> the keyboard to..." and then select "Moving within the current document" to
> get to the information I added. I am interested in comments regarding
> both the layout and content.

It looks great! You really are moving right along with the FAQ! You are
definitely doing much better than I could have myself. I need to grab a
piece to work on before you finish it! :-)

I did have one thought about style, though. I think I started it with my
original list outline, but now that you are filling things in, the
"problem" stands out little more and I regret my original wording. It
seems that the document moves away from being an FAQ (i.e., Q/A format) as
you move into it. Now, I put "problem" in quotes because I'm open to
arguments that this isn't a problem.  The advantage of the current format
(I think) is the efficiency of information flow. The advantage of the Q/A
format (I think) is that the questions closely approximate the frame of
mind the user is in when reading the document. I would prefer the first
for a user's guide or a manual, but the second for an FAQ.

Here's a revised version of that page with some additional pages to keep
the ball rolling:

                             Lynx Keyboard FAQ

   Topics:
     * How do I move around the document?
     * How can I search for text?
     * What keystrokes control the options?
     * What special purpose keystrokes are there?
     * I was filling out a form and had trouble with...
     * There are 101 keys on this keyboard. Do they all do something?
     * Don't make me type all that! Are there shortcuts?
     * What keys work on special Lynx screens?
     * What? You use "l" to move Right??? Can I change that?

   [Back to Main FAQ]

                        Navigation within a document

     * One page at a time is too fast! Can I go one line at a time?
     * One page at a time is too slow! Can I jump directly to the good stuff?
     * Can Lynx use good ol' vi/emacs/Wordstar/Pine/etc keys?
     * Can Lynx use my numeric keypad?
     * The left-arrow took me back two pages. Why is that happening?
     * When will we see scrollbars with a mouse for moving around?

   [ Return to main FAQ ]

   My question isn't here, but it pertains to navigation within a document.
   Can you help me?

   Question: __________________________________________________________

   [ Submit ] [Reset]

                        One page at a time is too fast!

   You don't have to move an entire page at a time. You can move forward
   two lines using Ctrl-N and back two lines using Ctrl-P just as in
   (isn't there another package this was modeled after?) The parentheses
   keys scroll by half pages. Pressing "(" moves forward a half page and
   pressing ")" moves backward a half page.

   Lynx provides *a rich set of keystrokes* to move around in the current
   document. You can see the entire list of keys and their purpose by
   pressing 'k' (or 'K' if *vi-keys* is on) while in Lynx.

   [ Return to keyboard section ]
   [ Return to main FAQ ]

                        One page at a time is too slow!

   You don't have to move just a page at a time. You can move to the end
   of the current document with Ctrl-E and to the beginning of the
   document with Ctrl-A.

   Here's a trick: If you know what text you are looking for, you can use
   the "/" key to search for it in the document. Lynx will jump directly
   to the place it finds the search string. If the first match is not the
   one you wanted, the "n" key will take you to the next match.

   Lynx provides *a rich set of keystrokes* to move around in the current
   document. You can see the entire list of keys and their purpose by
   pressing 'k' (or 'K' if *vi-keys* is on) while in Lynx.

   [ Return to keyboard section ]
   [ Return to top of FAQ ]

                       Can Lynx use vi/etc keys?

   Lynx _can_ use vi and emacs keys and it is very simple to have it do
   so. From within Lynx, press "o" to bring up the options menu and find
   the lines with the settings for vi keys and emacs keys. Pressing 'v'
   will toggle vi mode and pressing 'm' will toggle emacs mode.

   This can also be controlled from the command line when Lynx is started.
   Enter the lynx command with the -vikeys option to enable the vi-like
   cursor keys. The option -emacskeys will enable the emacs-like cursor
   keys. Note that the emacs keys may be incompatible with some curses
   packages. See the links below for an explanation of these modes.

   Lynx _could_ be set up to use keystrokes mimicking Wordstar, Pine or
   any other package you like (almost), but to do this would require
   defining the key mappings in the lynx.cfg. That file contains more
   information regarding key-mapping.

   More information:

   * Explain vi mode to me.
   * Explain emacs mode to me.
   * What problems does emacs have with curses?

   Lynx provides a rich set of keystrokes to move around in the current
   document. You can see the entire list of keys and their purpose by
   pressing 'k' (or 'K' if vi-keys is on) while in Lynx.

   [ Return to keyboard section ]
   [ Return to top of FAQ ]

                       Searching the current document

     * Can I use wildcards in a Lynx search?
     * Why can't I search for "pg 32 of 64" and jump to that page?
     * What is the difference between the "s" and "/" search keys?
     * I want my searches case-sensitive. Is that possible?

   [ Return to main FAQ ]

   My question isn't here, but it pertains to navigation within a document.
   Can you help me?

   [ Submit ] [Reset]

Joe
----
Joseph Kincaid                 |  Mathematics is the alphabet with which God
address@hidden   |  has written the universe. -- Galileo
KSU - Mathematics Department   |   (except he said it in Italian, of course.)

;
;